Saturday, November 6, 2010

3 weeks and 900 miles later

Dear Blog,
I did not abandon you.
Love,
Leslie




In truth its been hard to create new posts as we travel because we are rarely in ports long enough for me to spend any quality time with my computer. It's so hard to believe its been 3 weeks since I wrote last! We have made it to Florida (yay!), but still have about 250 more miles to go to reach Peanut Island.


Some of the quick highlights of the trip thus far were sailing through the Cape Cod Canal, stopping in New York City (my first time there!), and seeing my brother Patrick and his girlfriend Aeryn.

The Rachel B Jackson passing under a bridge on the CCC

Passing LaGuardia Airport

NYC from the water


Hanging out with my brother, Patrick

Jesse steering us back offshore

From there we sailed straight to Little Creek, VA (a two and a half day offshore endeavor) and after a brief respite and much needed reprovisioning we were off again into the Intercoastal Waterway through Norfolk, VA and into North Carolina either anchoring or docking at night. We made stops in Great Bridge, VA, Coinjock, NC and Beaufort, NC.

Sailing Regatta in Norfolk

Passing the Naval base in Norfolk

Great Bridge, VA

King James Tavern Beaufort, NC

We left the ICW at Cape Fear, NC and made a 36-hour push to Hilton Head, SC where we anchored for a night. The next morning we hauled up the hook and set Florida in our sights. By 2:30 the next morning we were headed into Fernandina Beach, FL in a thick fog. We anchored out again and have been enjoying the warmer temps and the town as well as the beaches of Amelia Island for the week.

Sunset over the Atlantic

We hope to set sail again Sunday and make our way down the Floridian coast. Hopefully, my next post will be from our destination!



PS We've seen lots of wildlife (dolphins, jellyfish, pelicans) and even tried line fishing off the boat one afternoon but the only animal I have successfully captured was the wildest of all...

A giraffe...statue

1 comment:

  1. My oh my how I've missed you blog! I'm glad to see you are back up and running even if it may only be temporary. I look forward to hearing about the rest of your journey and your adventures sailing the Rachel B. Jackson out of Peanut Island this winter.

    ReplyDelete